Picture Book Picks - You're a Hero Daley B!


You're a Hero Daley B
written by Jon Blake
illustrated by Axel Scheffler

This is an old favourite of mine and I do mean an old favourite. It was written nearly 17 years ago. It hasn't aged a bit as a story or for it's illustrations. It is illustrated by the artist who illustrated The Gruffalo. So you can imagine just how good the illustrations are.

I must have come across it about 15 years ago when I started working in the children's library and it was one of the first books I started to collect myself for my future children. In fact I haven't read it to my wee boy yet, so I must have stored it somewhere extra safe. I must have a hunt for it.

You're a Hero Daley B is the story of a rabbit called Daley B who is rather confused about who he is, where he should live, what he should eat and why he has such big feet. There is a rather hilarious illustration of him lying on the ground with his feet in the air wondering if they are for keeping him dry when it rains and a wee mouse sheltering under them. Of course, his guesses are all bizarre and very funny. It's not until an evil weasel appears that he learns the truth.

This is one for the parents as much as the children.

Oh, and it is also available in Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment